Monday, September 03, 2007

Scott and Ed gaming session 9/1/07 to 9/3/07


This was day two of our three day marathon, we played a total of 22 games, we would have played more but we took a break to go to the races at Wenatchee Valley Super Oval. if you click on the picture you can see a closer view of the games we played, I think I included every game we played except for Robo Rally.




This game of Robo Rally was one of the best games Scott and I have ever played, it was very close all the way to the end, in fact it was so close that Scott got to the last flag while I was just one space away from it. this game was intense the whole way through, at the end there was some hollering and about 30 minutes of reminiscing about the game. And speaking about reminiscing, that is one of the things I love about gaming, long after a game is played, sometimes even for years to come when we all get together we can talk about certain things that happened in games just like it happened yesterday, Scott and I can still tell stories about when we used to play Axis and Allies. back when we thought there couldn't possibly be anything better out there to play.

Tigris and Euphrates
Well well well, Scott, it would seem that after numerous attempts at playing this game either online at BoardGameGeek
or face to face, it would seem that I am usually the winner! including this last game we played, I thought you said the reason you couldn't beat me was because it just didn't feel the same playing it online? Ha ha! I'm just razzing you. I am well aware that you cannot be beaten at Battle Lore and also it would seem I cant beat you at Memoir 44 Either, so it is all good! wait a minute who won the first game we played of Tigris..oh yeah it was ME!!!! he he, OK Scott, its your turn to rant......

Scott, Sheila and I playing Thebes. Wow! what a cool game, I couldn't get enough of this game When Scott brought it up here, so much so I bought it as soon as he left. I really like the "Time" Mechanic in this game, I think it is one of the neatest innovations in game mechanics Ive seen in a long time, I hope to see this applied in more games in the future. I think it is so cool how you can manage your "Time" spent doing certain actions like studying, digging,and talking to people in the streets for information in such a way that you can plan to take several turns before your opponent gets to take his turn. and on the reverse side of that , you can spend a lot of time doing one action to try to earn a bunch of points, but knowing that your opponent is going to end up getting to take a bunch of turns after you while he catches up to your "time line" It seems to make for a well balanced game because you never want to get to far ahead of your opponent, and at the same time he doesn't want to get too far ahead of you. Right now this game is definitely in my hot top 10 list. And by the way, The wife likes it too so that means I should be able to play it a few more times :-)

19 comments:

Mike David said...

Yeah Yeah, Robo Rally. You just LOVE that game don't ya. Whatever, it's all right, but it sure sounds like the game you played that was intense, I can just imagine all the choice dialog that was coming out of your mouths during that game.

Scott said...

Ah, the famous "Photo finish" of Robo! Naw Mike, we didn't use any "potty" words...nope! Haha! Yeah right! We are SO confused to why you don't like that game! It doesn't make sense! Oh well, I don't like Arkham Horror ( and I should ). That game deserves a "Mr. Yuck" sticker for sure! Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Anyhow, I like the pix. Even though I look all scruffy and gross! Thanks!

Mike David said...

Yeah, RObo Rally doesn't thrill me but I don't despise it like you despise Arkham. I don't call Robo Rally all kinds of insulting names, like you do with Arkham. The last time we played Arkham I had to console it before it would come out and play. Arkham told me it doesn't like you either. It said "Scott called me a turd, but he's just a poopy head! I don't like him he makes me cry." I hope your happy Scott, ya big meanie!

Scott said...

I'm pretty confident that NO expansion for AH can help it. As they say, "You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd". BUT, you also know I'm fair and I am willing to try it whenever you buy a "new" expansion. The game isn't D.O.A......yet.

Ed said...

Yeah well ya know even tho I am kind of in the middle between you two guys on this (I like it but I don't) I rarely read of anyone else complaining about AH, in fact I have heard this in many podcaster's top 10 lists. Most people seem to like it.

Mike I am willing to give this game another try. I know it has to be a good game. it has a lot of elements
I like in a game.

Scott said...

I agree, it does have a good portion of elements I appreciate and look for in a game...BUT! For some reason, when combined in AH, they fail. Also, most sessions (when played "by the book" & not) tend to be a futile race against time. We are nearly always on our heels and never really gaining ground. MAYBE it's our "strategy" that needs tweaking? I don't know! All I know is that the game falls short of thrilling me and leaves me with little satisfaction at the end. I will play it again with either of you or all at once. I am fair at least! Haha!

Mike David said...

Yeah, It's been so long since I have played Arkham Horror with more than just 2 players it might be nice to player with 3 or 4 with the new expansions. Scott remember what the game designer said himself about playing the game "by the book", he calls the game a RPG type game and is therefore a prime canidate for making whatever house rules make it more enjoyable for you.

Ed, about your latest updates, I think it is only fair that you always win at Tigres, it serves Scott right for always winning at battlelore. I may have won a few games but I still think that guy has uncanny luck in that game, oh no wait it's all skill, right Scott?

As for Thebes, your comments exactly mirror my thoughts, that game is sooooo cool, I love to play it. As a matter of fact when Scott and I get together this weekend even though we both have brand new games (I just got my order) I still am hoping to be able to play Thebes. That game just rocks!

Scott said...

I can't explain the fact Ed has this other worldly luck at pulling many victories outta his butt when it comes to T&E! I can usually get within a point or so of him, but!! I guess it's karma. I have my days when I'm hot with the Borg games. We 3 have our games that we just seem to be "hot" at. Yes, we will be playing Thebes Mike!

Scott said...

We should have had Sheila snap a "shot" of us playing "Cash N Guns"! Next time I come up we need at least one photo of us playing it for your blog! Also, a pic of us playing Infernal Contraption too. Especially a 3 player game. I can't wait for you to play "Last Night on Earth" with me! It is worthy of the praise it receives on BGG! There are other geeks making their own scenarios! Hehe, that's cool! Some are very sweet too and I may include in some sessions eventually. In fact, Flying Frog ( the publisher ) should be posting more stuff on the game soon. BTW, I am so glad you and Sheila liked "Thebes"! Later!

Ed said...

lets not forget also I have yet to lose a game of Blue Moon City,And I've played it 3 or 4 times. Yay me!

Ed said...

Scott, I think a Scooby Doo variant would be awesome, I know there is one out there for Betrayal at house on the Hill, so I know the figures should be obtainable.

Scott said...

The pieces are actually from a Scooby Doo edition of Monopoly. I'd LOVE to get my hands on them! Plus, there are figures out there for Hellboy too. I want them as well, but they are expensive. I already have all the stats for Hellboy and the rest of the characters from his comic series ( the important ones ). Enough to make a team for Betrayal... I think I may bring Betrayal up the next time! For right now, LNOE scratches my horror itch! But, that game is always on the back burner, ready!

Mike David said...

So what game am I "hot" at huh Scott? The only games I am undefeated in are games we have not played much like Twilight Imperium and World of Warcraft. Hey now that I think of it have you ever won a game of Fury of Dracula? We should have been keeping records back then.

Scott said...

I had my little black book, remember? But, when we began playing MTG a lot I gave up! I can't remember winning FoD at all, but I hope I did! We will play it again soon! As to what game your "hot" at? Hmmm, I can't mention it here! Hehe! Umm, let's see. Warcraft is one ( not WoW ). I can't think of one right now that you seem to win more of than us. I will in time. Ed? Any suggestions?

Ed said...

hmm, on Feb. 17th '07 Mikey won at a game of History of the World. Mike also won Antike on 2/18/07, Risk2210 AD 2/18/07 Amen Re on12/22/07, it seems like the games we only play once in a while Mike wins.

Scott said...

I should have known "The Oracle" himself would consult his "Book"! Hehe! Anyhow, I'm still trying to think of a game that he consistently wins at. I tell ya, he's gotten better at "Thebes". He'll tie me (which isn't much) soon. He usually gets me "Runebound" too. I guess he needs his time to shine too. Still, I treasure those warm moments of cursing and denial that spew forth from his pie hole after a good whooping in a "Borg" game!!! Ahhh.

Mike David said...

Yeah I guess if there was a game where you got points for the most cursing I would probably win that game the most right?

Scott said...

You are our "Potty Mouth" for sure! But, Ed and I aren't too far behind!

Scott said...

I lied, I found out the Scooby Doo pieces are from the Scooby Doo Clue Game. But, there is some from the Monopoly game that are acceptable.