Sunday, September 16, 2007

Wives and Gaming


Well, I finally got Sheila to try Infernal Contraption , I really thought this would be a game she would like, she caught on how to play it fairly quickly, which lead me to believe she might be liking it, but after about a half hour into the game she said, "I don't like this game can we quit?" Well I immediately said, "are you sure you don't like it, its not that difficult" anyway long story short, she thought it had too much reading, and then she said she might like it better if she could memorize what all the cards do I tried to tell her that after a few plays you would learn what they do....oh well if she doesn't like it she doesn't like it.

It sometimes surprises me what games she will like are dislike, I thought for sure she would like this one, but I guess I was wrong. I am pretty lucky tho that she likes to play any games at all, heck she LOVES Runebound, and that game doesn't seem to me like a game she would like. it just takes soo long to play, so rarely hits the table.

She seems to like pretty much any Euro game I have her try, Ra, Thebes, Taj Mahal, Attika, to name a few. She can regularly spank my butt at Lost Cities, I have a love hate relationship with that game, its a very cool game, but it is so frustrating sometimes. It is also commonly known as the "perfect wives game" by many people in the board game community, and a very good gateway game to get your wife into the hobby of gaming.

All in all I consider myself very lucky that I have a wife that will play boardgames with me, especially in my situation where I had to leave my regular gaming group behind when I moved. but that will be another topic later...

7 comments:

Mike David said...

Yeah it is odd what some people like and other don't. Believe it or not I think that theme of the game can play a large part in whether a person likes a game or not. Also we have all had "bad" games, some games have a certain percentage of times where the game just doesn't come together and it is a lame experience and sometime this happens when you are trying to teach someone else to play. Magic is a prime example of these fluke games where once in a while, especially when you are trying to teach someone, the game just stinks, it's boring or it's a runaway victory, or it's just not exciting, and you are trying to tell the other person, "no no this really is a good game" but you know first impressions say a lot.

Scott said...

It is funny what each of us and our gaming comrades ( be it friends or family ) will like or dislike. Take Taj Mahal. I thought for sure that my mom and aunt would love it! It had everything going for it. It shared elements of games that they like to play, but for some reason it tanked! Just like you and Mike when it comes to Caylus. Caylus is right up our alley, but you guys act as if it's a Black Plague carrier! It's a FANTASTIC game and deserves ALL the accolades it receives! It's a mystery to me. But, on the other hand...there's Arkham Horror for me! I should like it, but it falls short of delivering the goods. First impressions don't usually sway me when I play something though. I may not like it the first time around, but I feel I need to play it a few times to make sure how I feel. I have given AH a fair shake and it isn't my cup of tea. I do plan to bring Caylus around to one of our game days! So be prepared! I KNOW you guys will like it! Oh, and then there's Battlelore and Mike! Geez! Talk about having everything that Mike lives for! But, once again, kerplunk! I still need to get Mikey to play Thurn & Taxis as well! That game kicks ass! Oh well, enough belly aching! Sheila probably doesn't care for the theme of IC and just doesn't care to get into it. But, she does play games with you ( like you said ) and that is great! I wish that Cammie would've played more. I think that she would've had fun. Actually, she does like Ingenious. That's cool. I really want her to try Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne though. On the other hand, she doesn't seem to be comfortable enough with me to sit and play. Yadda yadda yadda! Good luck and I'll see ya Friday!

Mike David said...

I have played Thurn and Taxis it's a cool game, I just haven't play the expansion. We do need to play Caylus sometime again soon. Hey don't forget I think we should play a card game for the interview thing on friday, I think that it show the different types of games out there, it would show that it's not just board games that we play. I was thinking Colossal Arena or Blue Moon but I forgot about Infernal Contraption.

Scott said...

Hmmm, I'll think about which card game to bring. Later!

Ed said...

NO!!!!! not blue moon....definatly not blue moon. anything but blue moon..now blue moon city would be ok, but you know, i have never lost a game of that yet.

I think Infernal contraption would be a good card game to play for interview.

but i really think we should play thebes if we only play on game during the interview.

Scott said...

I wasn't planning on Blue Moon. If anything, it was gonna be a toss up between Citadels or IC. Citadels would be the best choice for families, but we can leave that slot for Thebes or something else.

Mike David said...

Yes!! Citadels! I totally forgot about Citadels! We should play that! But then again Infernal Contraption makes a better visual.

Ed what's wrong with Blue Moon, I like it better than Blue Moon City. I admit I thought it was pretty lame when Scott first bought it, but after he bought the expansions, especially the Inquisitor decks, I liked it alot better. The bouka invasion expansion helped too.